Obj. ID: 3367
Jewish Architecture Cemetery Chapel in Roman - Prayer Hall
To the main object: Cemetery Chapel in Roman, Romania
The walls of the rectangular hall are decorated with painted Corinthian columns. Six painted panels above window and door openings in the western and eastern walls contain depictions of Holy places in the land of Israel. None of them is inscribed. The northern panel on the western wall contains the name of the artist: “Şoil Grosvald Zugraf 1935 / Roman.” Şoil is the local Yiddish pronunciation of the name Shaul; the word zugraf, painter in Romanian, is misspelled (should be zugrav).
The ceiling represent a blue sky with six-pointed stars. A Magen David, accompanied by an inscription יי נתן ויי לקח (God gave and God took back, a phrase from a funeral service) is painted in its center. Four round medallions in the corners contain depictions of Holy places in the land of Israel, which also have no inscriptions.