Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 3449
Jewish Architecture
  Ha-ktanah Synagogue (Rabbi Pinchas Jana Synagogue) in Djerba, Tunisia

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Radovan, Zev, 1997

The rectangular synagogue complex comprises a prayer hall and courtyard with supplementary rooms, surrounded by a wall. The courtyard is in the centre, flanked by the prayer hall on the north and a learning house (Kutab), on the south. The compound is contiguous to dwelling houses and shares with them and with Trabelsiya Synagogue the same alley.

Exterior:

Three side walls are adjacent to the neighbouring private houses. Two unremarkable entrances, similar to those leading to private houses, are in the western wall. An arched main entrance, which leads directly to the prayer hall, and a rectangular simple door, leads to the courtyard. Eight rectangular windows are set in a row, six in between the doors, corresponding to the patio. Two other windows are placed to the left of the main entrance, corresponding to the prayer hall. An additional window in a higher wall is set to the left of the entrance to the courtyard. 

Interior:

The compound comprises two spaces: a basilical prayer hall and a patio surrounded by a peristyle of rounded arches.

The rectangular open-air courtyard is bordered at its western and northern sides by two roofed arcades. Benches are built along the courtyard’s walls and a water pit is in the north-west corner.

The patio is used as a praying space during hot summers, on days when the Torah is not read.

The northern arcade leads to the prayer hall through a door placed at its centre. Two windows are to the left of the door and one to its right.

34 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Ha-ktanah Synagogue (Rabbi Pinchas Jana Synagogue) in Djerba | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
c. 1725
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Unknown
Location
Tunisia | Djerba (Island) | Djerba
| Harah Kabirah
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Prayer hall:
Height: 6.85 m (clerestorey); 3.90 m (corridor)
Width: 8.23 m
Length: 9.90 m

Courtyard:
Height: 3.90 m
Width: 7.25 m
Length: 7.90 m

Beit Midrash:
Width: 4.40 m
Length: 5.95 m
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
The synagogue had been renovated several times.
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
  1. There is little information about R. Pin'khas Jana. His name is mentioned in a manuscript composed by R. Rahamim Huri, the first, who was active in the end of the 18th century, where he is described as "the wise, faithful and the excellent judge" (HaCohen, Mamlekhet, 1977, p. 2). 
  2. A corridor built in the eastern wall of the synagogue leads to back rooms, probably storerooms. Their exact function needs to be clarified. 
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
The Small Synagogue was probably built few years after the Great Synagogue. Originally it was named R. Pin'khas Jana Synagogue, however since it was the second synagogue built after the Great Synagogue, it was designated as HaKetanah (the Small), relative to the Great (HaCohen, Mamlekhet, 1977, p. 325).
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
• Amar, Ariella, and Jacoby, Ruth. Ingathering of the Nations. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1998. • Amar, Ariella. "Synagogues and Ritual Artifacts." In Tunisia, Jewish Communities in the East in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Ed. Haim, Saadoun, 251-268. Jerusalem: Ministry of Education and the Ben-Zvi Institute of Yad Izhak Ben-Zvi and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2005. In Hebrew. • HaCohen, Shushan. Perah Shushan: Mamlekhet Cohanim. Jerusalem: Itah, 1977. In Hebrew. • Pinkerfeld, Jacob. "Batei HaKneset Ba-i Djerba." In Bishvilei Omanut Yehudit: Sefer Zikaron, 60-74. Israel: Hapo'alim Press. 1957. In Hebrew. • Pinkerfeld, Jacob. Batei HaKneset BeAfrica Hatzefonit: Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco. Jerusalem: Mosad Bialik. 1974. In Hebrew. • Slouschz, Nahum. Ha-i Pely. Tel Aviv: Dvir. 1958. In Hebrew.
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
Ariella Amar | 07.97
Author of description
Efrat Assaf-Shapira; Ariella Amar | 11.01; 05.11
Architectural Drawings
Boris Lekar | 07.97
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
Ariella Amar | 12.01; 05.11
Language Editor
Dvora Sax | 07.11
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.