Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Art Alone
© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Radovan, Zev, 1997

Exterior:

The prayer hall, located on the northern side of the compound, is contiguous to the open-air courtyard, and is a rectangular basilica of a single floor with a central second clerestorey. Both spaces are reached through the western façade, which borders the alley.  

Interior:

The basilica comprises a rectangular space surrounded on its east, west and south by colonnades of round columns carrying horse-shoe arches. The columns support a square clerestorey raised above the central space, occupied by the large reader's desk, thus creating a centralised liturgical space (see: main photograph).

The single Torah ark is located in the eastern wall, forming a central east-west axis with the teivah and the main entrance (fig. 2). The sittings are on built benches, which run along the walls and around the reader's desk.

Two cylindrical columns, which were added in 1853, support the ceiling and are built on either side of the reader’s desk (see: Suggested Reconstruction; main photograph and fig. 3).

The clerestorey provides light through twelve windows, three on each side. Each window is marked by a Star of David enclosing the name of one of the Twelve Tribes of Israel (based on the Book of Zohar part 2, 251:1; main photograph) on the eastern wall: “Reuben, Simeon, Levi”. “Judah, Issachar, Zebulun” are depicted on the northern wall, while”Dan, Naphtali, Gad” are on the western wall. The last three tribes "Asher, Joseph and Benjamin” are placed on the southern wall.

A wooden compartment is built in front of the entrance door. Another entrance to an unidentified rectangular space is on the hall's north-western corner, adjacent to four blind arches, possibly part of the surrounding corridor, which was later blocked. A door leading to a back corridor is set to the right of the eastern wall.

The entire building is painted in blue and white. The walls are in blue with white lintels and cornices. The grooved twisted columns are blue and topped by trapezoid white capitals decorated with a branch in each corner. The Torah ark, reader’s desk and benches are painted in pink and white.

Name/Title
Ha-ktanah Synagogue (Rabbi Pinchas Jana Synagogue) in Djerba | Unknown
Object
Object Detail
Prayer hall
Date
c. 1725
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Unknown
Location
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height: 6.85 m
Width: 8.23 m
Length: 9.90 m

Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Axis: west-east
Facade: west
Entrance: west (main), south (side)
Torah ark: east
Apse: not relevant
Niche: east
Reader's Desk: central
Platform: not relevant
Seats: around the walls facing the reader's desk
Women’s section: none
Prayer: facing east
Jerusalem: east
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program

The names of Jacob’s sons are enclosed within twelve Stars of David, corresponding to the twelve windows in the clerestory.

Summary and Remarks

The columns supporting the ceiling were fashioned according to a new mode, prevalent in Tunis in the mid-19th century. 

Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
• Amar, Ariella, and Jacoby, Ruth. Ingathering of the Nations. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1998. • Amar, Ariella. "Synagogues and Ritual Artifacts." In Tunisia, Jewish Communities in the East in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Ed. Haim, Saadoun, 251-268. Jerusalem: Ministry of Education and the Ben-Zvi Institute of Yad Izhak Ben-Zvi and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2005. In Hebrew. • Pinkerfeld, Jacob. Batei HaKneset BeAfrica Hatzefonit: Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco. Jerusalem: Mosad Bialik. 1974. • Slouschz, Nahum. Ha-i Pely. Tel Aviv: Dvir. 1958. In Hebrew.
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Researcher
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.