Obj. ID: 1070
Jewish Architecture Synagogue in Bychawa - Interior
To the main object: Synagogue in Bychawa, Poland
The synagogue in Bychawa was built in 1811, according to an inscription: “The building that is built by Yitzhak of son of the late Mordecai in 1811, from the windows to the walls and ceiling, including Torah Ark”.
The synagogue in Bychawa is a rectangular building with six windows of the prayer hall and women's gallery on the west side. The construction of building based on a vaulted ceiling and four large central pillars of the bimah dividing the space into 9 bays. In the interior (on the bimah and eastern wall) fragments of inscriptions and murals are preserved. There are the motifs of four animals and musical instruments. Above the bimah there is a depiction of the 'four animal' motif. These murals were probably made during the early 20th century. The inscriptions belong to the time of construction of the synagogue.
For the bimah with four animals motif see: