The cylindrical Elijah's rod is topped by a globular knob. The rod is divided into three units by a ring inlaid with turquoise triangles. Two units are covered in silver and are inscribed with a circumferential inscription alternating with a foliate strip. The lower section is plain wood.
The dedicatory inscription is inscribed in square, outlined Hebrew-Persian characters, and is read from top to bottom:
"זה מטה שהקדיש יעקב חיים בן מ' (מולא) מרדכי לביהכ''נ (לבית הכנסת) של הראד ש' (שנת)ויתברכו לפ''ק (לפרט קטן)"
"This is the rod that was dedicated by Jacob Haim, son of Mullah Mordechai, to the synagogue of Herat, the year (5)644 (1884)". The sum of the letters of the marked word "ויתברכו" (and will be blessed) indicates the year.
A knob-shaped handle, mounted over a concave cuff, is decorated with diagonal bands.
The above described Elijah's rod is an additional link that connects the Afghanistan Jews to the Persian Jewish communities of Bukhara and Caucasus. Of the few rods documented among the Afghani Jews,this rod is another piece of evidence linking the communities. The origins of the use of the rod have not yet been established, and there are still some missing links as for the prototype of the object, as well as for the practice. See: Sc.542- 423; Sc. 238- 12.