Obj. ID: 21350
Hebrew Illuminated Manuscripts Fugger's Mekor Hayyim, Venice, c.1551
| Cod.hebr. 7 (Steinschneider 1895, No. 7)
Text space: Meir: (237-240) x (136-139) mm. Yishai: (237-238) x (139-141) mm.
Dark green leather partly turned brown on wooden boards (367 x244 mm), gold-tooled with a central roundel on the front and a shield on the back cover within an undulating lozenge in a large rectangle, decorated with floral motifs at the centre of each side and at the corners. The front roundel is inscribed פירושים, and below the letters EEEE. The spine, blind-tooled with hatching has four hidden cords and head and tail bands. On the edges of the front cover are vestiges of four groups of three plaited leather bands, two groups on the side and one each on the upper and lower edges, with corresponding holes for four nails on the edges of the back cover (for preserved bands see Cod.hebr. 301). Each group of three bands terminated in a ring intended to hook over the nails in the opposite cover. The leaves are gilt-edged.
This binding was made for Fugger by the 'Fugger Binder' inVenice(Hobson 1999:119-129). Similar bindings in BSB: e.g. Cod.hebr. 8, 26, 31, 35, 44, 45, 50, 56, 57,60, A. hebr. 278 and Cod.gr. 14.
Watermarks of the last flyleaf: A star above an anchor within a circle at the centre of the folio (65 mm): similar to Harlfinger 1974-80, Ancre 24-31 (Venice, 1556).
The decoration is executed by Meir:
- The title is decorated with ribbon-like letters and with floral and hybrid motifs. On the left is a putto pointing at the title (fol. 1').
- A rabbit flanked by two palmette-like motifs surmounts the caption פרשת פנחס (Pinhas Pericope) (fol. 400).