Obj. ID: 14873
Jewish Architecture Taharat Ha-Kodesh Choral Synagogue in Vilnius - plaques in the prayer hall
To the main object: Taharat HaKodesh Choral Synagogue in Vilnius, Lithuania
Currently, four plaques in gilded frames are situated on the walls of the prayer hall. Two of them, one entitled “Psalms for the Holidays according to the Custom of the Vilna Gaon” and another containing several holidays’ prayers, originate from the Leather Goods Retailers’ Kloyz “Beit Yaakov” at 7 Gaono Street. The origins of the third plaque, containing thirteen Maimonides’ principals of the Jewish faith, is unclear, though it certainly originates from another synagogue, to which it was donated by Shalom Tsam in 1913. The fourth
plaque was made after WW II and it includes the prayer in memory of the Jews who perished in the Holocaust as well as yor-tsayt dates for the 121 Jewish communities in Lithuania (see https://cja.huji.ac.il/browser.php?id=45476&mode=set).
| 39 Pylimo St.
Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, Sergey Kravtsov, Vladimir Levin, Giedrė Mickūnaitė, Jurgita Šiaučiūnaitė-Verbickienė (eds.), Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, 2 vols. (Vilnius: VIlnius Academy of Art Press, 2010-12), vol. 2, p. 258.