Obj. ID: 1344
Jewish Architecture Synagogue in Łańcut, Poland
The synagogue was built in 1761 to replace a wooden synagogue which had been destroyed by a fire. The building was financed by Stanislaw Lubomirski, the town owner. The synagogue is a rectangular masonry building containing a vestibule, small prayer hall, main hall, and a women's balcony above the vestibule that is reached by an exterior staircase. The bottom row of windows on the north facade indicates that the women's gallery was originially positioned above the main building. The synagogue is built with eight, barrel-vaulted bays supported by a four-pillar central bima. Painted, decorative plasterwork adorns the pillar capitals, ceiling, and walls. The synagogue interior is richly ornamented with murals and painted stucco works. The synagogue was renovated in the mid-20th century, and again between 1983 and 1990. Since then it has been used for the Museum of Judaica.
For the interior see:
| 17 Sobieskiego St.