Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 8964
Jewish Architecture
  Yeshiva in Telšiai, Lithuania

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Kravtsov, Sergey, 2004

The brick building of the yeshiva was built after the 1908 fire according to a design by architect Yakov I. Ushakov. Its original form is captured on a photograph from the 1920s (see ID 38510) and also in a postwar picture. It is the so-called “brick style” structure. Its street façade was pierced with large segment-headed windows on the ground floor, and with smaller round and segment-headed ones in the gable. The façade was decorated with brickwork pilasters, panels, frieze, stringcourses, and finials. According to a memoir by Shmuel Natanovich, the yeshiva occupied a large single-storey building, of about 800 sq m. The building was surrounded by a high fence, and the house of the rabbi was situated within the fenced yard. At the entrance to the building, there was a room for the lessons and a room for the library. In the yeshiva hall, there were three blocks of benches with lecterns, a Torah ark in the eastern wall and a bimah in the center. The brick annex on the northern part was added in the 1930s, as well as probably the upper floor in the western part. The eastern gable and the frieze were destroyed in a fire in 1960; probably, new parts were added afterwards. The building was renovated in 1978. In 2004 only some decorations above the windows are still preserved. The windows are blocked with wooden planks. The building belongs to the Jewish Community of Lithuania.

The brick building of the yeshiva was built after the 1908 fire according to a design by architect Yakov I. Ushakov. Its original form is captured on a photograph from the 1920s and also in a postwar picture. It is the so-called “brick style” structure. Its street façade was pierced with large segment-headed windows on the ground floor, and with smaller round and segment-headed ones in the gable. The façade was decorated with brickwork pilasters, panels, frieze, stringcourses, and finials. According to a memoir by Shmuel Natanovich, the yeshiva occupied a large single-storey building, of about 800 sq m. The building was surrounded by a high fence, and the house of the rabbi was situated within the fenced yard. At the entrance to the building, there was a room for the lessons and a room for the library. In the yeshiva hall, there were three blocks of benches with lecterns, a Torah ark in the eastern wall and a bimah in the center. The brick annex on the northern part was added in the 1930s, as well as probably the upper floor in the western part. The eastern gable and the frieze were destroyed in a fire in 1960; probably, new parts were added afterward. The building was renovated in 1978. In 2004 only some decorations above the windows are still preserved. The windows are blocked with wooden planks. The building belongs to the Jewish Community of Lithuania.

57 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Yeshiva in Telšiai | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
1908
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
1978, 2020
Artist/ Maker
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Lithuania | Telšiai County | Telšiai
| 11 Iždinės St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography

https://m.delfi.lt/miestai/telsiai/article.php?id=85121361


Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, Sergey Kravtsov, Vladimir Levin, Giedrė Mickūnaitė, Jurgita Šiaučiūnaitė-Verbickienė (eds.), Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, 2 vols. (Vilnius, 2010-12)
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.