The wealthy Sephardi family of Ari'es moved from Vienna to Samokov in 1793.
The richly decorated Big Ari'e House (owned by Abraham Ari'e est. and dec. 1866-1872) was demolished.
Gabriel Ari'e commissioned the building of the nearby Synagogue for which he employed workmen from Edirne or local craftsmen from Samokov. There was a path leading from the Small Ari'e House to the synagogue entrance.