Obj. ID: 44790
Modern Jewish Art Holocaust memorial in the Temple of Israel in Greenville, SC, USA, after 1990
Who is Commemorated?
Victims of the Holocaust
The memorial relief sculpture is mounted on the right side of the back wall of the synagogue lobby. The door to the left of the sculpture leads to the conference room. The door to the right of the sculpture leads to the coat room.
The sculpture is made of beaten copper fashioned in the shape of an open scroll with the Hebrew word “Zachor” in cut-out copper letters affixed to the scroll’s open center. From the top of the scroll, fashioned in copper, rise flames. A separate plaque with a dedicatory inscription to “the Victims of the Holocaust.” is fixed to the wall between the bottoms of the two Torah staves.
The Torah scroll is inscribed in Hebrew
On a plaque below the relief:
Dedicated to the
victims of the
Temple of Israel is a Reform congregation founded ca. 1917. The original building was dedicated on Buist Avenue, and the congregation moved to its present site on Spring Forest Road in 1989. The Holocaust memorial relief was installed sometime after 1990.
“Our History,” Temple of Israel website, https://www.templeofisrael.org/our-history.html (accessed October 3, 2022)