Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 42725
Jewish Architecture
  B'nai Brith Cave (Martyrs' Cave) in the Forest of the Martyrs, Israel, 1959

© Vladimir Levin, Photographer: Levin, Vladimir, 2021

Name

B'nai B'rith Cave (Martyrs' Cave) - מערת בני ברית (מערת יער הקדושים)

Who is Commemorated?

Jewish victims of the Holocaust

Description

The Martyrs' Cave is a natural cave that developed as a place of reflection and communion with the memory of Holocaust victims by B'nai B'rith. The main entrance to the cave has doors of metal bars, behind which a marble plaque framed by Jerusalem stones describes the purpose of the memorial and indicates its opening by the International Convention of B'nai B'rith in Israel in 1959. Deeper in the cave, there are three stone shelves intended for candles. The first one has a metal box with two doors and inscription משמרת [post, position] above it; lists of Holocaust victims were kept there (Bar 2011, p. 130); now (2021) the box is empty. The second one also has a metal box with broken doors and the third one has only two stone shelves. The back opening of the cave is closed with metal bars.

In front of the cave there is a plaza that was paved with stone by the Jewish National Fund. Wide stairs lead from the plaza to the cave. As evidenced by an undated photograph by David Benvenishti, the original plaza looked differently. It was probably renovated c. 2000. 

Inscriptions

A marble plaque placed high on the rock not far from the entrance to the cave bears two logos of the Jewish National Fund in Hebrew and English. The inscription on the plaque reads, also in Hebrew and English:

בסלע זה יחצב
מקום להתיחדות עם
'קודשי "בני ברית"

Out of the rock
will be hewn a shrine in memory of
B'nai B'rith martyrs
1955   תשט"ו

A large marble plaque at the entrance to the cave bears the logo of the Jewish National Fund in Hebrew and contains an inscription in Hebrew and English:

מערת ההתייחדות
עם זכר ששת המיליונים של
אחינו בני ישראל וקהילותיהם
קרבנות הנאצים
בשנות
תרצ"ג - תש"ה
חנכוה אחי בני ברית
בועידתם העולמית
במדינת ישראל
כ"א אייר תשי"ט

פיליפ מ. קלוצניק    משה ביסגייר
נשיא               סגן נשיא
משה אלכסנדר
יו"ר הועדה למען ישראל
אפרים מונוסון
יו"ר הוועדה למען יער הקדושים
ישראל פארים כ"ץ
מנהל הוועדה למען ישראל

This shrine
for meditation and remembrance
is dedicated to the memory of
our six million brothers and sisters
who perished in the Nazi Holocaust
in the years
1933 - 1945
Consecrated by B'nai B'rith
on the occasion
of their International Convention
in the State of Israel
29 May 1959

Philip M. Klutznick  Maurice Bisgyer
              President          Exec. Vice President
Morris Alexander
Chairman Committee for Israel
Fred Monosson
Chairman Martyrs' Forest Committee
Philip E. Katz
Director Committee for Israel

 At the plaza in front of the cave, two marble plaques read in Hebrew and English:

מערת
יער הקדושים
לזכר חללי השואה
הוקדשה ע"י
"בני ברית"
תשי"ט

Martyrs' Forest
Memorial Shrine
Dedicated to the
Jewish victims of
the Nazi Holocaust
by
B'nai Brith
1959

Commissioned by

B'nai Brith

Summary and Remarks

31 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
B'nai B'rith Cave (Martyrs' Cave) in the Forest of the Martyrs | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Public park
{"9":"Any memorial erected or installed in a present-day public park, including Jewish cemeteries or other sites now operated as public space."}
Date
1955-1959
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Natural cave in a rock, marble plaques, Jerusalem stone
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance

The cave was planned in 1955, as testified by a plaque on the rock. It was concecrated on 29 May, 1959, during the International Convention of B'nai B'rith in Israel.

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources

Bar, Doron, "'Le'an nifneh be-yom ha-sho'ah?': 'Yaar ha-kdoshim' ve-ha-hitlabtut be-se'elat zekher ha-sho'ah." Kathedra 140 (July 2011): 103-130, pp. 129-130., https://www.jstor.org/stable/23409592 (accessed September 14, 2022)
Type
Documenter
Vladimir Levin, Johanna Mangel | 2021
Author of description
Vladimir Levin | 2022
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed: