Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 39697
Jewish printed books
  Chamishah Chumshei Torah. Neviim Rishonim, Antwerp, 1566

© Gross Family Collection, Photographer: Unknown,

This text was prepared by William Gross:

Two of four volumes that comprise the Tanach printed by Christopher Plantin (circa 1520 - 1589) in 1566, only two years after he established his press in Antwerp. They are a beautiful printing, as were all of Plantin's work. The fonts are elegant and the title pages finely designed. These two books are bound in contemporary tooled parchment and are labeled with the initials ZAK and the year 1582.
Antwerp became an important printing center with the arrival of Christopher Plantin (c.1520-89) in 1564 from Paris. Using twenty-two pressed by 1576, Plantin was responsible for more than 2,000 publications in Antwerp and Leiden, making him the most productive printer/publisher of his time. Originally a bookbinder, he began to print books in 1555. Of those, more than thirty titles, biblical books and grammatical works, have significant Hebrew content. Most impressive is his Royal Polyglot, the Biblia Sacra hebraice, chaldaice, graece et latine...(1569-1572), printed in eight volumes for Philip II of Spain. Prior to that, however, he printed this Biblia Hebraica in three formats: a one volume quarto, a two volume octavo, and, as seen here, a four volume sextodecimo.

5 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Chamishah Chumshei Torah. Neviim Rishonim | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
1566
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Plantin Press, Antwerp and Leiden
(Unknown)
The Plantin Press was established in Antwerp, 1564 by Christopher Plantin. In 1583 he relocated to Leiden, a university town, and began to print there with typographical material brought from Antwerp. His son-in-law Franciscus Raphelengius took over the Leiden business in 1585 (Christopher returned to Antwerp) and printed until he went into liquidation in 1619. Under his direction the press printed some twelve books in the 17th C with Hebrew letters, primarily books of the Bible.
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Paper, Ink, Letterpress, Woodcut, Signature
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
17.7 cm
Length
Width
Depth
3.5 cm
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.