In 1647, a fire on Żydowska Street destroyed the synagogue. Already that year, the Jews received permission to build a new synagogue. In 1656 John II Casimir Vasa gave all of the real estate belonging to the Jews of Sandomierz to the town authorities, and he liklely did this to punish the Jewish community for their collaboration with Swedish invaders. However, in 1658 the king had already allowed the Jews to rebuild their district in Sandomierz. In 1686 the newer synagogue burned down in a fire. Two years later, the Jews were granted consent from the town office to rebuild the synagogue. The synagogue erected then was partially destroyed in another fire in 1711. In 1712, the Jews of Sandomierz were charged for ritual murders, and as a consequence King Augustus II demanded that the synagogue be transformed into a Roman Catholic chapel. However, the order was not probably implemented. The synagogue of Sandomierz burned down once again in 1758. Then, the Jewish community was granted permission to construct a new synagogue, which has been preserved until present day. During WWII it was devastated by the Germans. The State Archives of Sandomierz occupies the building now.