The Jewish section in the Žale municipal cemetery was established after the extension of the municipal cemetery in 1926. In 1964, the Jewish section with the remains of the deceased and their tombstones was moved to the current location. This is the only section in the Žale cemetery defined according to religious criteria.
The Jewish section is a plot measuring 25 x 50 m, surrounded by a low wall of bushes to distinguish it from the rest of the Žale cemetery and attached to its eastern wall. The entrance gate is situated on the western side of the section.
Currently (2018), there are in the section 27 tombstones, dated from 1912 to 2001, and a Holocaust memorial.
Premk, Janez and Mihaela Hudelia, Jewish Heritage: A Guidebook to Slovenia (Ljubljana: JAS, 2014)