Object Alone

Obj. ID: 51584  Graves of the victims of Đakovo concentration camp in the Jewish cemetery in Đakovo, Croatia, Late 1940s

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Levin, Vladimir, 7.2021

Memorial Name

No official name

Who is Commemorated?

Women and children who died in the Đakovo concentration camp in 1941 and 1942.

Description:

Originally, graves arranged in 21 rows, were marked by metal markers bearing the name of the deceased. In 2011, new granite markers were installed. Each marker contains the name of the victims, their age, the name of the home city, and the Star of David. Individual tombstones erected by relatives are typical of the time of their erection. 

Inscription

Each marker and tombstone have individual inscriptions in Croatian.

Commissioned by

Jewish Community of Bosnia and Herzegovina (2011)

Documenter
Vladimir Levin, Ekaterina Oleshkevich | 2021
Author of description
Vladimir Levin | 2023
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
Keller Foundation | 2021

107 image(s)

Name / Title
Grave of the victims of Đakovo concentration camp in the Jewish cemetery in Đakovo | Unknown
Monument Setting
Cemetery   
Object Detail
Completion Date
Late 1940s
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
2011
Artist/ Maker
Location
Croatia | Slavonia | Djakovo
| 1, Vatroslava Doneganija St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Languages of inscription
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
0
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
History

A concentration camp for Jews and Serbs was established in Đakovo on December 2, 1941, and existed until July 1942, when its detainees were transported to Jasenovac. As many as 3,800 women and children – mostly from Bosnia and Herzegovina, but also from Zagreb and other cities and countries – were interned at the camp over the course of its existence, and at least 566 Jewish women and children died in the camp. Their bodies were brought to the Jewish cemetery. Stjepan Kolb (1886 – 1945), the non-Jewish gravedigger, buried them in separate graves and recorded their names, so that the graves could be identified after the war.

After the war, 471 metal grave markers were placed on the graves. In the subsequent years, 99 graves got “regular” tombstones erected by the relatives of the deceased.

In 2011, original grave marks were replaced by new ones by the Jewish Community of Bosnia and Herzegovina, with the support of the Federations of Jewish Communities of Croatia and Serbia. Five original post-war tin grave markers from the Đakovo cemetery were donated to Yad Vashem.

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources

Groblje žrtava sabirnog logora u Đakovu (Sarajevo: The Jewish Community of Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2011)
Type
The following information on this monument will be completed: