Obj. ID: 48053 Memorial plaque to Holocaust victims in the Synagogue in Avignon, 1948
No official name
Who is Commemorated?
Jewish victims of the Holocaust from Avignon
This memorial plaque takes the form of an abstract headstone: a rectangle with a curved upper edge, while all the other edges are straight. At the top of the plaque is a dedicatory sentence, beneath which are the years of the Holocaust, flanked by two Magenei David. Most of the plaque is taken up by a list of names of victims starting with the Chief Rabbi, with a small line at the bottom naming the community and the year the plaque was erected.
DE LA Foi d'Israël
[List of Names]
La Communaule d'Avignon á ses Chers Disparus
Translation: To the martyrs of the faith of Israel / 1940 - 1944 / [List of names] / The Community of Avignon to its Dear Disappeared / October 1948
The Jewish Community of Avignon
| 2 Place de Jérusalem
According to an inscription, the memorial was unveiled in October 1948