Object Alone

Obj. ID: 46198  Holocaust Memorial near Obeliai, Lithuania, 1990s

© Samuel D. Gruber, Photographer: Gruber, Samuel D., 2017
Memorial Name
Žydų žudynių vieta ir kapas - Mass killing site and grave of Jews

Who is Commemorated

The 1,160 Jews of Obeliai killed and buried here.

Description

This memorial is located in a grove of trees on a hill on the outskirts of Obeliai, next to the Degsne forest. partway up the hill, a gravel path leads to a blue metal fence. Next to the fence's gate is a small stone stele inscribed with a Magen David and the words "Holocaust Mass Graves" in Lithuanian and English.

The path continues in a straight line, flanked by curated trees, until terminating at a series of concrete panels laying on the site of the mass grave with a pair of dark stone stele upright and positioned behind the monument's central axis. except for the path and the monument, the forest floor is allowed to grow naturally.

The two steles are on top of a small pedestal of the same material and are inscribed with a commemoration of the mass murder that happened here in Yiddish and Lithuanian. While not officially a part of the monument, many visitors leave flowers, candles, or small stones in front of these steles as a way of commemorating the victims.

Inscription

Yiddish:

אין 1941 זיינען דאָ
פון די נאציסטן
און זייערע אָרטיקע
מיטהעלפערס אכזריותדיק
פארניכטעט געוואָרן
1160 יידישע קינדער,
פרויען און מענער.
זאָל זיין הייליק
דער אָנדענק פון די
אומשולדיק
אומגעקומענע!

Translation: Here in 1941 Nazis and their local helpers murdered 1,160 Jewish children, women, and men. May the memory of the innocent victims remain sacred!

Lithuanian:

Čia 1941 m. naciai ir jų
vietiniai pagalbininkai
nužudė 1160 žydų
(vaikų, moterų, vyrų)

Tebūnie šventas
nekaltai žuvusiųjų
atminimas

Translation: Here in 1941 Nazis and their local helpers murdered 1,160 Jews (children, women, and men). May the memory of the innocent victims remain sacred.

Commissioned by

Probably, the Lithuanian Jewish Community

Documenter
Samuel Gruber, Milda Jakulytė | 2017, June 2023
Author of description
Adam Frisch, Milda Jakulytė | 2022, December 2023
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|

12 image(s)

Name / Title
Holocaust Memorial near Obeliai | Unknown
Monument Setting
Object Detail
Completion Date
1990s
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Location
Lithuania | Panevėžys County | Obeliai
| Antanašė village
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Languages of inscription
Shape / Form
Material / Technique
Granite
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
100 cm
Length
Width
130 cm
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
7 cm
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
0
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
History

In the summer of 1941, Antanase manor near Obeliai was used to hold some of the Jews from the Rokiskis region, mainly women and children. On August 25th, about thirty Rokiskis Guard Unit troops and a number of German Gestapo officers arrived at the manor. Obeliai white armbanders marched the Jews 1.5 kilometers to the edge of the Degsne forest, where Soviet POW's had dug two large pits.

The Jews were marched in groups of around one hundred to the killing site, ordered to undress, and then shot by members of the Rokiskis Guard Unit, Obeliai auxiliary police, or German Gestapo, a process which took the entire day. The local colaberators were each rewarded 100 rubles for participating in the mass murder.

The Jager Report records 1,160 Jews were murdered here; 112 men, 627 women, and 421 children.

A wooden obelisk was erected at the site after the war, until it was replaced with a stone memorial in 1965, which in its turn was replaced by the current monument in the 1990s.

On February 18, 1993, the monument was registered in the State Cultural Register of the Republic of Lithuania as a site of national importance (no. 11144).

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources

Holocaust Atlas of Lithuania, http://www.holocaustatlas.lt/EN/#a_atlas/search//page/1/item/76/., http://www.holocaustatlas.lt/EN/ (accessed December 20, 2022)

Jakulytė-Vasil, Milda. Lithuanian Holocaust Atlas (Vilnius: VIlna Gaon State Jewish Museum, 2011), pp. 146-147.

Kultūros vertybių registras, https://kvr.kpd.lt/#/heritage-detail/46e8f311-1669-4fbf-b99d-2cc7a79ab7e0., https://kvr.kpd.lt/#/ (accessed April 24, 2022)

Levinson, Yosif, Skausmo knyga. The Book of Sorrow. Dos bukh fun veytik. Sefer ha-keev (Vilnius: VAGA Publishers, 1997)., p. 148.
Type
The following information on this monument will be completed: