Object Alone

Obj. ID: 44831  Holocaust Memorial in the New Light Jewish Cemetery in Lincolnwood, IL, USA, 2000

© Samuel D. Gruber, Photographer: Gruber, Samuel D., 2021

Who is Commemorated?

Jewish victims of the Holocaust 

Description

In the center of the cemetery on the axis from the entrance is a low circular mound, which the main paved path encircles. On the axis with the entrance, one sees and approaches a granite stele with a low angled wall in front, on which plaques are affixed. Behind this is a flagpole, from which flies the American flag. Behind this, is a large metal menorah, which is fully viewed from the other side of the mound. 

Inscriptions

On stele:

In memory
of
Six million Jewish
Martyrs and heroes

On small plaque between six plaques with names:

Victims of the
Holocaust
remembered

Commissioned by

New Light Cemetery Association

Documenter
Samuel D. Gruber | 2021
Author of description
Samuel D. Gruber | 2021
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|

8 image(s)

Name / Title
Holocaust memorial in the New Light Jewish Cemetery in Lincolnwood, IL | Unknown
Monument Setting
Cemetery   
Object Detail
Completion Date
2000
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Location
United States of America (USA) | Illinois | Lincolnwood, IL
| East Prairie Road / West Pratt Avenue
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Iconographical Subject
Textual Content
Languages of inscription
Type of grave
Unknown
Material / Technique
Granite, Bronze
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
0
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
History

Lincolnwood is located just to the northwest of Chicago. The New Light Society (known as Chevra Or Chodash) was established in 1895 to provide burial places for the Jewish members of the New Light Society and their immediate families. The Society was dissolved in 1926 by the Illinois Secretary of State for the failure to file annual reports, and was transformed into the New Light Cemetery Association. In 1895 the area was unpopulated, with no paved roads. Now the cemetery is amid a settled residential and business community.

In 2000, the Association erected a central Holocaust memorial. At least one other monument in the cemetery commemorates victims of the Holocaust. This is a private stone erected by the Ratzenstien and Oberland families listing names, birth, and death dates of ten European family members killed between 1940 and 1943.

The cemetery Association holds an annual memorial service in front of the Holocaust Monument taking place between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. The services are conducted by clergy selected from the larger Chicago Jewish community.

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources

Gruen, Al. “History of New Light Cemetery,” The New Light Cemetery website , https://www.newlightcemetery.com/history (accessed October 2, 2022)
Type
The following information on this monument will be completed: