Home
   Under Construction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 39385  Karaite Torah ark curtain donated to the synagogue in Gozlva, Evpatoria, 1839

© Gross Family Collection, Photographer: Bar Hama, Ardon, -.

1 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Karaite Torah ark curtain donated to the synagogue in Gozlva | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
1839
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Gross Family Collection No.
049.013.003
Material/Technique
Gold thread embroidery in raised laid stitch on yarn foundation on a silk satin ground, The decoration is couched laid stitch
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height: 22 cm, Width: 75 cm
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Hallmark
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Description

The following description was prepared by William Gross: The parochet (Hebrew: פרוכת) is the curtain that covers the Aron Kodesh (Torah Ark) containing the Torah scrolls in a synagogue. The parochet symbolizes the curtain that covered the Ark of the Covenant, based on Exodus 40:21. "He brought the ark into the Tabernacle and placed the screening dividing curtain so that it formed a protective covering before the Ark..."

Karaite textiles from the area of Crimea are very rare. This center panel from a Parochet is fashioned in gold metal embroidery on blue silk background. The shape and spacing of letters as well as the word extending into the border decoration in the lower left hand corner give the impression of a folk art piece rather than a sophisticated embroidered creation. The early date and the exotic location add to the significance of the cloth.

Inscription: This is the Parochet that was dedicated Mrts. Mamok Yerushalmit, the righteous, in the memory of herslef: in the memory of her brother, the honorable teacher, the elderly Yitzhak Jigrasi; in the memory of her elderly mother Mrs. Golish Yerushalme: and for the memory of her husband ? the honorable teacher Mordechai Yerushalmi ????; and in the memory of her husband the ?? honorable teacher David Yerushalmi ?????; and in the memory of her nephew the honorable teacher Yitzhak the groom Jirasi; and in the memory of her sister the daugher of the righteiousteacher Menachem, of blessed memory; to the Holy Community of Gozlva [Yevpatoria], May he build our city, Amen; ?????? in the year 5599 [1844] according to the major reckoning on the 15th day of the month of Cheshvan.

Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Researcher
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|