Home
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 8066
Jewish Architecture
  Synagogue in Novi Sad, Serbia

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Čerešnješ, Ivan, 2002
Summary and Remarks
Remarks

183 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Synagogue in Novi Sad | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1906-1909
Synagogue active dates
1909 - until WWII; after WWII - 1966
Reconstruction dates
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Brick
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Yes
Documented by CJA
Yes
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Synagogue
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
B (Fair)
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration

Organ

Urban significance
Significance Rating
4 (International)
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance

The synagogue of Novi Sad bears the scars of World War II and the Holocaust. Jews of Novi Sad were imprisoned there before their deportation to Nazi death camps. Afterward, it was used as a storehouse for possessions left behind by the Jews. After the liberation, it was used as a space to distribute humanitarian aid sent from the West.

The synagogue was in use until 1966. With less than 10 percent of its prewar congregation, the community did not have the means to renovate and maintain the temple. Therefore, after years of neglect, it was handed over to the city for management and underwent renovation from 1985 until 1991. The synagogue has been leased to the Novi Sad Municipality since 1991 and has been used as a concert hall and from time to time for the celebration of the Jewish holidays.

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novi_Sad_Synagogue
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |