Obj. ID: 47054
Modern Jewish Art Holocaust Memorial Plaque at the site of the New Synagogue in Brno, Czech Republic, 1993
What is Commemorated?
The New Synagogue of Brno that stood at this location
The Memorial Plaque is a rectangular plane of granite with a Magen David inscribed at the center - top, with a dedicatory inscription beneath it.
V těchto místech stála synagoga zvaná Nová
postavená v letech 1905–6 v novorománském slohu
architektem Maxem Fleischerem
Do začátku 2 světové války sloužila 12 000
spoluobčanů židovské víry
v letech 1985-6 jako devastovaná ustoupila
dostavbě Úrazové nemocnice
Translation: In this place the New Synagogue stood / built in the years 1905-6 in the Neo-Romanesque style / by the architect Max Fleischer / Until the beginning of World War II, it served 12,000 / fellow citizens of the Jewish faith / in 1985-6 the devastated [building] gave way to the / completion of the trauma hospital.
| Ponávka 846/10
To the right of the entrance to the spinal unit
The construction of this synagogue was predicated by a large influx of Jews moving to Brno at the beginning of the 20th century. Construction began in 1904, and it opened in September 1906.
During World War II, the building was forcibly closed by the Nazis and was used as a warehouse for stolen Jewish property. It was badly damaged by Allied air raids on the city and was never repaired after the war.
After WII, the city used the ruined building as a warehouse and finally destroyed the synagogue in the winter of 1985-6 to make room for a pavilion for the adjacent Trauma Hospital.
For the details on the New Synagogue, see
"The Jewish Trail: The New Synagogue" Brnotrails.cz, https://www.brnotrails.cz/en/object/9-the-new-synagogue (accessed January 23, 2023)
"Nová synagoga," Internetová encyklopedie dějin Brna, https://encyklopedie.brna.cz/home-mmb/?acc=profil_objektu&load=154 (accessed January 23, 2023)