The synagogue was built in 1811. On the basis of a wall inscription, the western part of this building can be dated back to 1856. The interior is provided with a wooden barrel-vaulted ceiling.
Since 1925, the building is no longer used as a synagogue and was subsequently sold in 1934. The municipality of Bad Nieuweschans is since 1968 in possession of the building and was responsible for the renovation in 1973.
van Agt, J.F., Edward van Voolen. Synagogen in Nederland (Hilversum: Gooi and Sticht, 1988)
van Voolen, Edward, Paul Meijer. Synagogen van Nederland (Zutphen: Walburg Pers, 2006)