Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 8927
Jewish Funerary Art
  New Jewish cemetery in Pakruojis, Lithuania

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Kravtsov, Sergey, 2004

According to ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, the new Jewish cemetery is located about one and a half kilometres northwest of Old Pakruojis. It was founded in the middle to late 19th century. The overall size of the cemetery is more than 100 meters long and about 40 metres wide. According to maps from 1950 and 1962 the cemetery occupies a larger territory than is fenced. There are graves and tombstones visible in the wood behind the fencing. The natural boundaries are open fields on three sides and the road from Pakruojis on the fourth. The whole area is covered with trees and it is nowadays enclosed by a wooden fence. In total about 50 gravestones can be seen, about 30 are in the fenced-off area and 20 outside the fence. The original wall around the cemetery was destroyed during the Nazi occupation. In 1994 a memorial stone was erected on the new Jewish cemetery; its foundation is made of fragments of tombstones found therein. There is also a stone commemorating the murders of the Jewish citizens in July-August 1941. There is a wooden fence, between 0.5-1 meters in height, however the site is not entierly fenced. There are 83 gravestones.

Date of oldest tombstone: 1827
Date of newest tombstone: 1912
Perimeter length: 500 metres. Fenced perimeter 198 metres
 
The cemetery is located just off of Šiaulių street, 1.1km southwest of the junction between Šiaulių street and Dariaus and Girėno street. The cemetery is on the northwestern side of the road.


Summary and Remarks
Remarks

13 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
New Jewish cemetery in Pakruojis | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |