The construction of the Great Synagogue began ca. 1784 and its Torah ark was finished in 1807.
In the Soviet period its exterior did not change significantly, while the interior was destroyed and the prayer hall divided into two levels. In 2003–4 the building was renovated and converted into an art school after a design by Birutė Biekšienė, while its original exterior was preserved.
|Biekšienė the author of 2003-4 reconstruction
Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, Sergey Kravtsov, Vladimir Levin, Giedrė Mickūnaitė, Jurgita Šiaučiūnaitė-Verbickienė (eds.), Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, 2 vols. (Vilnius: VIlnius Academy of Art Press, 2010-12)