The square Kerchief is decorated with a central panel which depicts a praying scene in black and white, within a red frame. The frame bears in its corners four poems in German, each within a medallion. The central panel depicts a praying scene, which focuses on the Torah^Ark covered by the Parochet and surmounted by the Tables of Testimony. Right in front of it stands the covered Bimah and an eternal light hanging from a column by its side.The cantor is wrapped in a Talit and a mass of soldiers wearing Prussian uniforms encloses the sacred scene. Five soldiers wear a Talit, while two of them seat facing the viewer. A depiction of a landscape places the scene in the open. The central panel is surrounded by branches, leaves and flowers while on its top appears a rectangular shaped band held by two flanking angels and surmounted by a Star^of^David. The band bears Hebrew and German inscriptions in filled square letters. The inscription in Hebrew reads:
"הלא אב אחד לכלנו הלא יוצר אחד בראנו"
"One father to us all one has created us".
More Hebrew and German inscriptions appear on the lower part of the kerchief, dated 1870 and situated within a stylized conch flanked by vegetal patterns. The inscription in Hebrew reads:
"עבדת יום הכפורים תרל"א 136)5()1781(במחנה## אשר על פני מעץ"
"Day of Atonment service 1870 in (military)camp in Metz".
See object no. 31379
For a similar object in the Israel Museum see here.