Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 7777
Memorials
  Memorial at the site of the Jewish cemetery in Luckenwalde, Germany, 1988

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Levin, Vladimir, 2003

Official name

No official name

What is commemorated?

Destroyed Jewish cemetery

Description

The site of the Jewish cemetery is a garden-like area with grass and trees. Three boulders are placed in the center of the large square-shaped area. The central boulder is inscribed in German. 

Inscription

In German

Zum Gedächtnis
an den 1943
yerstörten Friedhof
der Jüdischen
Gemeinde

Translation: In memory of the cemetery of the Jewish community destroyed in 1943

Commissioned by

municipality

Summary and Remarks
Remarks

5 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Memorial at the site of the Jewish cemetery in Luckenwalde | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Date
1988
Synagogue active dates
until 2006
Reconstruction dates
2006 (replaced with a larger memorial)
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Languages of inscription
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance

The Jewish cemetery existed in Luckenwalde since 1782. 

This cemetery existed since 1814 and the first burial took place in 1818. In the 1860, the cemetery was fenced. In 1914, the cemetery chapel was erected.

In 1943, the cemetery was destroyed. 

The first memorial was built in 1949 but was not maintained in the following years, In 1979, the memorial was dismantled. In 1988, a new memorial was built -- three stones, one of them with an inscription.

This memorial was replaced with a bigger one in 2006. In 2006, the municipality decided to renovate the cemetery. During the renovations, the foundation of the cemetery chapel was found. The foundations were left visible. By its side, a memorial with names of Jews killed in the Holocaust was erected. The unveiling ceremony took place on September 21, 2006.

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
Anna Berezin | 2024
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed: