Obj. ID: 766
Jewish Funerary Art Jewish Cemetery in Bolekhiv (Bolechów), Ukraine
The cemetery in Bolekhiv was documented by the Center for Jewish Art at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1995 and again by the project Jewish Galicia and Bukovina in 2013-2014.
See also the website of the Jewish Galicia and Bukovina (http://jgaliciabukovina.net/154061/cemetery/bolechow-cemetery).
According to ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, the exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the VAAD research, the oldest gravestone relates to 1615, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. It was not marked on old maps. The fence was installed in 2009 by Bolekhiv the partnership of Jewish heritage Avotenu.
The cemetery is surrounded by a plastered stone wall of three metres height. The site is used for cattle grazing. There are about 1500 gravestones.
Date of the oldest tombstone: 1734
Date of the latest tombstone: 1944
| Mandryka St.