Obj. ID: 639
Sacred and Ritual Objects Torah shield of the Zovhei Zedek Society in Zhytomyr, 1848
The silver Torah shield is octagonal, and consists of a plate and a chain. In the center there is an ox, its front legs are crossed, the head is turned back and the mouth is open. The ox is standing on the ground. A tree is on the left. A dedication inscription surmounting the oax back written in an undulating line that repeats the oax back and head form, in square linear letters, and reads:
"זה הציץ שייך להחבורה זובחי צדק דק"ק )דקהילת קדש( זיטאמיר לפרט תר"ח"
"this shield belongs to the Righteous Sacrificers Society (Havurah Zovhei Tzedek (society of butchers)) of the Holy Community of Zhitomir 1848"
Surmounting the inscription there is a cloud. The plate has a double frame. The inner one is decorated with a geometric moyif and the exterior one with a foliate motif.
| DM 2106