Obj. ID: 624
Sacred and Ritual Objects Torah shield, Odessa, 1864
The silver Torah shield is rectangular and terminates with a semi circular arch.The Tables of the Covenant are depicted in the centre, inscribed with the two opening words of the Ten commandments, five in each side. They are flanked by two cylindrical columns decorated with spiralling strips and rampant griffons,facing backwards, standing on rectangular columns and holding a crown decorated with flowers. The upper part consists of an inscription which continues on a plaque below the tablets. Inscribed in square filed letters it reads:
"ז"נ )זאת נדבת( ר' אברהם בר' )בן הרב( אבוגדר ]אביגדור[ מביאליי". "ל' תרכ"ד לפ"ק".
"This is the donation of Rabbi Abraham son of Rabbi Avigdor from Biali, the year 1864".
The lower part depicts a pair of human faced lions couchant, guardant with erected tails.
The Torah shield is framed by a line composed of small balls.
| DM 7424
1. The hallmark depicts an anchor surmounted by a double headed eagle. It is a city hallmark of Odessa in 1880.## C.f. Postnikova-Losseva, p.235, no. 3142.
2.The hallmark depicts Cyrillic initials: "V.L" (Lat.) with the date 1863 under a line, framed by a cut angle rectangle. It is a assay's mark of Vasily Matveyvitch Lapshin, active in 1852-1863.
C.f. Postnikova-Losseva, p. 235, no. 3146.
3. The hallmark depicts the cypher: 84 in a cut angled frame. It is a Russian quality mark in 18th and 19th centuries.##C.f. Postnikova-Losseva, p. 148, no. 12-13.
4. The depicts an unclear Cyrillic initials, probably indicates the artist name