Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 50062
Hebrew Illuminated Manuscripts
  Document of Honor, Budapest, 1924

© Gross Family Collection, Photographer: Unknown, -

The following description was prepared by William Gross:

This beautifully handwritten and decorated certificate was created for a prominent Jewish citizen of Budapest, one Tzadok Mordechai, the founder of the benevolent society, Omike Menza. There is another single-sheet printed certificate from that society in the Gross Family Collection.

The text for this award was written by the head Cantor of the Pest Synagogue, Aharon Yehudah Lazarus. The script and decoration were done by a famous Jewish Hungarian artist named Shlomo Yedidyah Seelenfreund. His original approach to using the Hebrew letter as ornamentation is very clear in this creation.

Seelenfreund was an active graphic designer and artisan in both Hungary and Israel for more than 50 years. Seelenfreund was born in Hungary in 1875. His father was the Rabbi of Szeged where Shlomo grew up from the age of 2. He had a religious education but went on to study graphic design and handicrafts in Budapest. After the studies he traveled, visiting studios in Germany and Italy. By the end of the 19th century his work was appearing in professional journals in Hungary and in 1903 he decorated the interior of the new synagogue in Szeged. He became associated with Raphael Patai and illustrated many of his publications, including the famous Mult es Jovo cultural and literary journal. In 1917 an exhibition of his work was mounted in Budapest and in 1929 in Eretz Israel. His work most often involved original and decorative ways of presenting Hebrew letters and it is possible to say that his approach influenced the works of the Bezalel School in Jerusalem, founded in 1906. He made Aliyah with his family to Eretz Israel in 1921 and melded into the community of artists in the country, being one of the founders of “The Society of Hebrew Artists”. By 1923 he had a design studio in the Old City where he carried out his designs and he himself worked in parchment, metal, and stone as well as designing for others. In 1929, the year he had an exhibition of his output in Jerusalem, his studio was destroyed in the riots. Later he relocated to Tel Aviv where he continued his original designs and works.

Summary and Remarks

2 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
| Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1924
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Yedidiyah, Shlomo (Salamon Seelenfreund, graphic designer, 1875-1961)
{"368":"Seelenfreund was an active graphic designer and artisan in both Hungary and Israel for more than 50 years. Seelenfreund was born in Hungary in 1875. His father was the Rabbi of Szeged. Shlomo had a religious education but went on to study graphic design and handicrafts in Budapest. After the studies he traveled, visiting studios in Germany and Italy. By the end of the 19th century his work was appearing in professional journals in Hungary and in 1903 he decorated the interior of the new synagogue in Szeged. He became associated with Raphael Patai and illustrated many of his publications, including the famous Mult es Jovo cultural and literary journal. In 1917 an exhibition of his work was mounted in Budapest and in 1929 in Eretz Israel. His work most often involved original and decorative ways of presenting Hebrew letters and it is possible to say that his approach influenced the works of the Bezalel School in Jerusalem, founded in 1906. He made Aliyah with his family to Eretz Israel in 1921 and melded into the community of artists in the country, being one of the founders of \u201cThe Society of Hebrew Artists\u201d. By 1923 he had a design studio in the Old City where he carried out his designs and he himself worked in parchment, metal and stone as well as designing for others. In 1929, the year he had an exhibition of his output in Jerusalem, his studio was destroyed in the riots. Later he relocated to Tel Aviv where he continued his original designs and works."}
Origin
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Paper, Ink, Paint, Written, Painted
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height: 72 cm, Width: 46 cm
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
William Gross |
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |