Home
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 49841
Hebrew Illuminated Manuscripts
  Tribute to the members of the Kovei' 'Etim Holy Society in Fiorenzuola d'Arda in the province of Emilia, Fiorenzuolo d'Arda, 1750

© Gross Family Collection, Photographer: Unknown, -

The following description was prepared by William Gross:

Italian Jewry had a particular fondness for the composition of Hebrew poems and texts.  The inspiration for the writing or printing of such texts was to honor or commemorate different events in Jewish life. The result is a large number of single manuscripts or printed pages, often with decorative elements as well as text. This extensive use of the Hebrew language in such creative ways is a marked characteristic of Italian Jewry between the 16th and 19th centuries.

This often expressed itself in special prayers created for occasional use. In this example, there is a large hand-written and decorated page in honor of the members of the Kovei' 'Etim Holy Society in Fiorenzuola d'Arda in the province of Emilia.

The poem is very esthetically rendered, in the design, the script and in the decorative border surrounding the text.  

Summary and Remarks
Remarks

1 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
| Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1750
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Paper, Ink, Written
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height: 55 cm, Width: 45 cm
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance

The Jewish community was founded in 1562. The furniture of the synagogue is now in the Schapira Synagogue in Milano.  Some of the lamps are in Soragna along with a large table. At the end of the 18th century, there were 200 Jews in the city. By 1880 there were only 75 remaining.

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
William Gross |
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |