Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 48084
Memorials
  Holocaust memorial at the killing site near Veseya village (former Mokharty estate), Slutsk area, Belarus, 1956

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Unknown,

Who is Commemorated?

The Jews of Slutsk who were killed on February 7-8, 1943

Description

This memorial is a granite stele, shaped like an obelisk but with its front and back faces flat rather than angled. it sits on a white [plaster?] base, surrounded by low blocks of the same white material with metal bars linking them as a fence. The memorial's front face is inscribed in Hebrew and Russian.

It is located 500 – 600 meters from the road from Slutsk to Veseya village, one kilometer from the Veseya River. 

Inscriptions

In Hebrew:

[to be transcribed]

Translation: Here rest old and young people, women and men, mothers and nursing infants who's blood was poured out like water in Slutsk by the Fascist murderers. Let their name be cursed forever.

In Russian:

Вечная память
погибшим
от рук немецко
фашистских захватчикрв

Translation: Eternal memory of the ones murdered by Nazi-Fascist occupiers

Commissioned by

local Jewish community

Summary and Remarks
Remarks

0 image(s)

This set has no children

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Holocaust memorial at the killing site near Veseya village (former Mokharty estate), Slutsk area | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Date
1956
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Belarus | Minskaia vobl. | Slutsk | Veseya
| 400 meters to the west from Sloboda (Slabada, previously Mokharty)
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance

In 1939 7,392 Jews resided in the town, comprising 33.7 percent of the total population. 

The Germans occupied Slutsk on June 27, 1941. On October 27-28, 1941 the first major mass murder of Slutsk Jews took place.  At the end of 1941-beginning of 1942 two ghettos were established: the "field ghetto" (on the northern outskirts of Slutsk) where Jews unable to work were imprisoned, and the "town ghetto" for working Jews (situated in the old Jewish quarter of the town, Shkolishche), closer to the town center. The "field ghetto" was gradually liquidated in the spring of 1942. On February 8, 1943, the Germans liquidated the "town ghetto."

On the morning of February 8, 1943, members of the German 22nd Reserve Police Battalion surrounded the "town ghetto" of Slutsk. Special commandos, consisting mostly of Latvians, entered homes and drove the Jews out to the gathering point. The assembled Jews were then loaded onto trucks and taken to the former estate of Mokhart, popularly called Mokharty, situated 5 kilometers east of Slutsk, 800 meters north of the Slutsk-Starye Dorogi road, on the far side of the Veseyka River. There the execution took place at mass graves. The Jews were ordered to enter the graves and were then shot from behind.  

Postwar court proceedings against the perpetrators of this massacre cited a minimum of 1,600 victims: at least 1,200 were murdered at the graves at Mokharty, the rest in the ghetto itself. According to Soviet sources, the number of victims of this massacre was 3,000.

The memorial was erected in 1956. 

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources



Smilovitsky, Leonid. "Po sledam evreiskikh kladbishch Belarusi. Slutsk," Masterskaia, April 25, 2019 [In Russian]., https://club.berkovich-zametki.com/?p=46806 (accessed February 28, 2023)
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed: