Obj. ID: 46066
Jewish Funerary Art Monument to Jews who died fighting in War II in the New Jewish Cemetery in Thessaloniki, Greece
To the main object: New Jewish Cemetery in Thessaloniki, Greece
Memorial to fallen Jewish soldiers and officers who took part in the fight against the Germans and Italians in 1940/1941.
Who is Commemorated?
Fallen Jewish soldiers and officers who took part in the fight against the Germans and Italians in 1940/1941.
The monument sits on a broad and low platform made of marble blocks and slabs, the flanks of which are raised grassy lawns enclosed by low retaining walls. The platform has two levels. The first level is reached by three steps from either side, each set of steps is set at a 45-degree angle, and they both lead to a broad central space enclosed by low walls, from which three broad steps lead to an upper level on which the sculpted monument sits. Six inscribed plaques with Greek and Hebrew texts are attached to the lower wall between the first sets of steps and facing the main approach to the monument.
The monument proper is made of grey marble blocks in the form of a menorah. A broad rectangular base supports seven square columns that decrease in size toward the center one. The center column is inscribed with a simple Magen David. Matched inscriptions in Greek and Hebrew are beneath the menorah, on the face of the base.
Set on the platform, in front of the menorah but to its right side, is an inscribed slab, set at an angle on a low base.
On the front of the monument (menorah):
Translation: Memorial to fallen Greek Jews in the 1940-41 war
ללוחמי יוון היהודים
Translation: Memorial Monument to the Greek Jewish warriors who fell in the war in the years 1940-1941
Plaques on front of monument platform:
ΣTOYΣ 12898 EBPAIOYΣ EΛΛHNEΣ AΞIΩMATIKOYΣ
KAI OΠΛITEΣ ΠOY AΓΩNIΣTHKAN
YΠEPAΣΠIZOMENOI THN TIMH KAI THN
AKEPAIOTHTA THΣ ΠATPIΔAΣ MAΣ
ΣTON ΠOΛEMO 1940-41
OI AΠΩΛEIEΣ TOYΣ ANHΛΘAN ΣE:
513 NEKROYΣ 3743 TPAYMATIEΣ
AIΩNIA H MNHMH TOYΣ
Translation: Dedicated to the 12898 Jewish Greek officers and soldiers who fought defending the honor and the integrity of our country in the 1940-41 war. Their losses amounted to: 513 dead, 3,743 injured. / Their memory is eternal.
מוקדש ל-12898 לוחמי יוון היהודים
קצינים וחיילים שלחמו והגנו על
הכבוד הלאומי ועל שלמות
המדינה במלחמה בשנים 1940-41
נפלו 513 חללים יהודים ז"ל
ונפצעו 3743 יהודים
Translation: Dedicated to the 12,898 Jewish Greek warriors, officers, and soldiers who fought and defended the National honor and integrity when the country was at war in 1940-41 / 513 Jewish martyrs fell and 3,743 Jews were injured
ΔAYIΔ IΣAAK ΦPANΣEΣ
ANHΓEPΘH EΠI ΠPOEΔPIAΣ NTEIBINT ΣAΛTIEΛ
KAI MEΛΩN TOY KOINΟTIKOY ΣYMBOYΛIOY
IAKΩB MΠENMAΓIOP ANTIΠPOEΔPOY
IΣAAK-INO ANTZEΛ ΓPAMMATEA
XAΣΔAI KAΠON TAMIA
ΠINZAΣ ΠAPENTE EΛEΓKΤH
Translation: Gift of / David Isaac Frances / Raised during the Presidency of David Saltiel / And members of the Community Board / Jacob Benmaior Vice-President / Isaac-Ino Antzel Secretary / Chasdai Kapon Treasurer / Pinchas Parente Comptroller (or Auditor)
הינה תרומה של
דוד פרנסם בן יצחק ז"ל
והוקמה ע"י נשיא הקהילה היהודית דוד שאלתיאל
:וחברי ועד דקהילה
יעקוב בן מיור - סגן הנשיא
יצחק-אינו אנגל - מזכיר
חסדאי קפון - גזבר
פנחס פרנטה - מבקר
Translation [To Review]: This monument is a donation of The late David Fransem ben Yitzchak and was established by the president of the Jewish community David Sheltiel, as well as by the members of the 'Dakhila' committee: / Yaakov Ben Meor - Vice President / Yitzhak-Ino Angel - Secretary / Chasdai Kapon - Treasurer / Pinchas Ferrante - Comptroller (or Reviewer)
Transcribe Hebrew text [donor list]
Jewish Community of Thessaloniki
After the destruction of the old Jewish cemetery during the German occupation of Thessaloniki, and new walled cemetery of approximately 17,000 square meters, was opened in the Stavroupoli district after the war. Stavroupoli is now a separate municipality adjacent to Thessaloniki. Some remains from the old cemetery were saved and brought here when the cemetery opened, and more recently any fragments of old gravestones that are recovered on building sites or elsewhere are brought here, too.
This memorial to fallen Jewish soldiers and officers who took part in the fight against the Germans and Italians in 1940/1941 was dedicated nearby in 2003.