Obj. ID: 44661
Jewish Architecture Holocaust Memorial Plaque on the Air Force building, Rhodes, Greece, 2014
Who is Commemorated?
The Jewish Community of Rhodes
A rectangular white marble inscribed plaque is attached to the exterior of the building facade. The top part of the inscription is in English and the bottom part is in Greek. The two texts are the same.
On the 23rd of July 1944
the entire Jewish population of Rhodes
was incarcerated in this building
from where they were deported to the death camps
of Auschwitz – Bikernau, in Poland, where they were annihilated.
May their souls rest in peace!
Στιs 23 Iouλiou του 1944
το σύνολο του Εβραικού πληθυσμού τιs Ρόδου,
ήταν έΥκλειστοο σε αυτό το κτίριο,
απ’ όπου εκτοπίστηκαν στα στρατόπεδα του θανάτου
Άουσβιτs – Μπιρκεναου στιη Πολωνια,
όπου και εξοντώθηκαν.
Είθε οι ψυχέs τουs να αναπαύονται εν ειρήνη!
Jewish Community of Rhodes
In July 1944, Jews of Rhodes were detained at the German Kommandantur located in the former Italian Air Force Command Center, just outside the Old City near the Gate of Amboise. The Jews were held there for three days before their deportation to Auschwitz-Birkenau. Many died along the way; almost all the rest were killed upon arrival at Auschwitz or died in slave labor camps.
The memorial plaque was placed on the building at the instigation of the Jewish Community of Rhodes in 2014, on the 70th anniversary of the deportation.
For the detailed report on the German occupation, see
”German Occupation – Holocaust,” The Jewish Community of Rhodes website , https://jewishrhodes.org/german-occupation-holocaust/ (accessed October 18, 2022)