This text was prepared by William Gross:
In 1550 Alvise Bragadin established a Hebrew press in Venice, thus ending a brief monopoly in Hebrew printing in Venice enjoyed by Guistiani (after the closing of the Bomberg press). This press continued as one of Venice’s leading Hebrew print-shops, issuing Hebrew titles in the 18th C under several generations of Bragadins (the last of whom was Alvise III). Throughout the years, the output of the Bragadini press was considerable, and covered the gamut of Hebrew works. The press was somewhat unusual, however, in that the Bragadins themselves did not always take an active role in their printing-house, leaving its operation to other printers, and lending their name to other presses. Cristofolo Ambrosini, whose name appears on the title page, was among the several printers associated with the press in the 1670's, which from 1667 to the end of the century, seems to have been known as Stamparia Bragadina and not connected specifically with names of any of the Bragadin family members.