This text was prepared by William Gross:
The book Raziel Hamalach is considered the basic book for amulets and practical Kabbalah. The tradition around the book attributes it to have been revealed to Adam by the angel Raziel. The title itself is mentioned in another magical work of late antiquity, The Sword of Moses. Critical historians regard it as a medieval work, most probably originating among the Chassidei Ashkenaz, as citations from it begin to appear only in the 13th century. Sections of it are no doubt older. The likely compiler of the medieval version is Eleazer of Worms, as "Sefer Galei Razia", which developed to what we have now as "Sefer Raziel HaMalakh", including more writings written by people of various theological opinions.
The book draws heavily on Sepher Yetzirah and Sepher Ha-Razim. There are multiple manuscript versions, containing up to seven tractates. The printed version of Sefer Raziel is divided into five books, some of it in the form of a mystical Midrash on Creation. It features an elaborate angelology, magical uses of the zodiac, gematria, names of God, protective spells, and a method of writing magical healing amulets.
The first printed edition of the famous book "Raziel Hamalach" was issued in Amsterdam in 1701. This volume basically determined the texts and diagramatic representation of many basic amulets from this time on, being endlessly copied in almost all places that amuilets were written. The second edition was not published for over 90 years, but then numberous edition were issued from the Hebrew presses of Eastern Europe. It continues to be printed to this day.
This is an early edition, being the sixth printed and the second edition to be issued from the Hebrew press in Miedzybozh. The town is best known as the residence of the Ba'al Shem Tov, who moved there in c.1740. The village became the seat of the Hassidic movement and later of the Miedzybizh Hassidic dynasty (established by the Apter Rav, R' Avraham Yehoshua Heshel). Both the Besht and the Apter Rav remained in Miedzybozh until their deaths (in 1760 and 1825, respectively), and were buried in the old cemetery. Miedzybizh has become a tourist attraction for Hassidic Jews from all over the world.