Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 35394
Jewish printed books
  Haggadah shel Pesach, Amsterdam, 1781

© Gross Family Collection, Photographer: Unknown,

The following description was prepared by William Gross:

Passover Haggadah - Maaleh Bet Chorin, "Ashkenazi and Sephardi rite", with commentaries - Alshech, Gevurot Hashem by the Maharal and Olelot Efraim by Rabbi Shlomo Ephraim of Luntschitz (author of Kli Yakar). Amsterdam: Proops, [1781]. First edition of the Haggadah under this title.Engraved title page. Engraved illustrations based on the Amsterdam 1695 edition. At the end of the Haggadah is a large engraved map of Eretz Israel (folded plate). [2], 52 leaves folded plate (map). 25.5 cm.
Ma’aleh Beit Chorin, Passover Haggadah, with laws, commentaries (Maharal, Alshich, Abarbanel and more), and illustrations. Amsterdam, 1781. Proops Printing Press. Preliminary title page of copper etching “Beit Israel – Beit Chorin… as customary by Ashkenazim and Sephardim”. Copper-etched illustrations, based upon illustrations of Avraham son of Ya’akov Hager, in 1695 Amsterdam Haggadah.
This is the third edition of the original Amsterdam Haggadah. It was redesigned in a smaller, quarto format (reduced from the folio editions of 1695 & 1712). Undoubtedly this size was easier to handle at the Seder table. All of the old illustrations reappear, printed as before from copperplates. The map of the Exodus also appears at the end. Passover Haggadah - Ma'aleh Beit Chorin, "According to Ashkenazi and Sephardi tradition", with commentaries of the Alshich, Gevurot Hashem by the Maharal and Ollelot Efraim by Rabbi Shalom Efraim of Luntschitz [author of Kli Yakar]. Amsterdam, [1781]. Proops Press. First edition of the Haggadah with this title.
The Abravanel’s commentary on the Haggadah is retained in this third edition, with selections added from Rabbi Judah Loew ben Bezalel (the MaHaRaL), Moses Alshekh, and Ephraim Solomon Lunschitz.
The Haggadah’s engraved frontispiece shows an architectural gateway, the lower portion of which contains the printer’s emblem of the house of Proops: two hands raised in the priestly blessing. Founded in 1704, the house of Proops provided three generations of distinguished Hebrew printers in the Dutch capital. Solomon ben Joseph Proops had printed the Haggadah of 1712. After his death in 1734, the press was directed by his three sons in partnership, but in 1773 the inheritance was divided and each set up his own establishment. As Jacob Proops died shortly before this Haggadah was issued, its frontispiece remarks that it was printed “In the house and at the press of the orphans of the deceased…Jacob Proops.”
This copy still has the fine original covers.
The Proops family was involved in the printing of Hebrew books in Amsterdam from the beginning of the 18th century. As the longest lasting such printing house in that city over generations, their publications spanned more than 150 years.
Yaari 199; Otzar HaHaggadot 300.

17 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Haggadah shel Pesach | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
1781
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Proops, Printing House in Amsterdam
(Unknown)
The press set up by Solomon Proops became the most famous of all the presses operating in Amsterdam in the 18th century, apart from the Menasseh ben Israel press. Solomon's father Joseph came to Amsterdam from Poznan. Solomon Proops was initially involved in the bookselling trade, and in 1677 was admitted to the Amsterdam Guild of Booksellers, Printers and Bookbinders. In 1704 he set up his own press, which was to become the longest operating and most productive of all the Jewish presses in Europe in the 18th C. He acquired the fame of a printer who produced beautiful books that could be bought at a reasonable price.
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Paper, Ink, Letterpress, Engraving
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
28.7 cm
Length
Width
23 cm
Depth
2.3 cm
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Coordinates: 0.000000, 0.000000
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.