Home
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 30761
  Memorials
  Memorial at the Site of the Temple in Lviv, Ukraine, 1990

© , Photographer: Unknown, 1997

Memorial name

No official name

Who/What is Commemorated?

The Temple Synagogue that was demolished by the Nazis

Description

The monument is located at the site of the Temple Synagogue in Lviv, which was demolished by the Nazis. It originally consisted of a stone with a metal plaque attached to it. The plaque bore a Ukrainian inscription on the left side and an English inscription on the right. The inscriptions were separated by an image of a synagogue. A Yiddish inscription was also carved below, but it was unreadable in the photo we have. By 2015, the plaque was replaced with a stone one. The new plaque features the same Ukrainian and English inscriptions, with the inscriptions now separated by the image of a Menorah. The Yiddish inscription is no longer present on the new plaque.

Inscriptions

Ukrainian:

На цьому місці був один із
релігійних центрів єврейської
громади Львова – Темпель
синагога реформістського
юдаїзму возведена в 1844–1845
роках. Спалена і зруйнована
німецькими нацистами в пер-
ші дні після вторгнення до
Львова в липні 1941 року.

English:

This is the site of the
synagogue of the progressive
Jews called the Temple
which served Lvov's
intelligentsia. It was built
during 1844–1845 and was
destroyed by German soldiers
on entering to Lvov on
July 1941.

Yiddish (not later than 2015): 

[The inscription is unreadable]

Commissioned by

The Sholem Aleichem Society of Jewish Culture in Lviv

Summary and Remarks
Remarks

sub-set tree:  

Name/Title
Memorial at the Site of the Temple in Lviv | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
1990
Active dates
Reconstruction dates
before 2015
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Ukraine | Lvivska obl. | Lviv (Львів)
| Rybny Square (14 Stariy Rinok Square)
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
3 image(s)      

3 image(s)      
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Languages of inscription
Material / Technique
Initial plaque – copper
New plaque – granite
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconstruction
History/Provenance

In the summer of 1941, the Nazis destroyed the Temple Synagogue. The monument was erected in 1990, and according to photos from the 1990s, it consisted of a stone with a metal plaque attached to it [Yevreiski adresy Ukrainy].

The copper plaque was stolen, and a new granite one was attached to the stone [according to a conversation between Marina Sedova and Oleksander Nazar on March 20, 2025].

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources

Prokopiv, Volodymyr, "Templ, abo persha lvivska synahoha reformistiv," Fotohrafii staroho Lvova, February 22, 2016, https://photo-lviv.in.ua/templ-abo-persha-lvivska-synahoha-reformistiv/ (accessed March 20, 2025)

Yevreiski adresy Ukrainy. Putivnyk (Kyiv: Dukh i Litera, 2020), pp. 343–345.
Type
Documenter
| 1997
Author of description
Marina Sedova | 2025
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed: