Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 2740
Jewish Architecture
  Ashkenazi (Neolog) Synagogue in Senta

© Sc_583, Photographer: Unknown,
Summary and Remarks

4 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Ashkenazi (Neolog) Synagogue in Senta | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1873
Synagogue active dates
until WWII
Reconstruction dates
1957 (Demolished)
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Building/site does not exist
| Táncsics Mihály (Tančič Mihalja) Street
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance

The first Jews settled in Senta in the late 18th century. The community, Hevra Kadisha, prayer house, and school were established in the first half of the 19th century. The synagogue was erected in 1806. The cemetery was officially founded in 1852, although there are older monuments dating back to 1785. Those were transferred from the old cemetery that stood on the coast of the Tisza River. In 1855, a part of the members separated and established an orthodox community that had its own synagogue and mikveh. There was also a small Status Quo community, which was basically followers of Sighet Hasidism.

The new Neolog synagogue with an internal school was built in the neoclassical style in 1873. There was also a religious school Talmud Torah. The formal division between the two communities occurred in 1915. In the 1920s, there were 1327 Jews living in Senta, the majority belonged to the Orthodox community.

A few Jews who survived the Holocaust could not sustain the communal institutions and buildings on their own. The first victim was the large Neolog synagogue, standing without windows, and with a damaged roof structure. Therefore, on the grounds that it was not worth investing funds to restore the building, it was demolished in 1957.

Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources

"Senta/Zenta," Locations (Vojvodina Holocaust Memorials Project), https://www.vhmproject.org/en-US/Locations/Details/19 (accessed June 25, 2023)

https://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%B0_%D1%83_%D0%A1%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B8

Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |