Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 26955
Jewish Funerary Art
  Jewish cemetery in Sfântu Gheorghe, Romania

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Levin, Vladimir, 11.2017

The Jewish cemetery of Sfântu Gheorghe is situated at Voican St., near the Christian cemetery. It is a small cemetery with about one hundred graves. The earliest tombstone is dated 1922, the latest – 2013. All tombstones in the cemetery testify to the high level of Hungarian acculturation of local Jews: even tombstones from the 1980s and 1990s bear epitaphs in Hungarian, rather than in Romanian language. Only one epitaph from 1929 is written in German and Hebrew and none – in Romanian.

A modest cemetery chapel stands at the entrance to the cemetery. 

Behind the chapel, there is a small monument to the Jews deported to the death camps in 1942-1944 (Fig. ?). It has inscriptions in Hungarian and Hebrew.

At the far, empty end of the cemetery, a newer memorial was erected in 2014. It is dedicated to the memory of 52 children sent to death camps in 1944 and consists of a stela, inscribed in Romanian, Hungarian and Hebrew and 52 cypress tries, each bearing a name of a child.

The most outstanding structure in the cemetery is the mausoleum of the Neumann family, erected in 1924 in Hungarian Secession style. 

The Center for Jewish Art photographed all tombstones in the cemetery. 

Summary and Remarks

132 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Jewish cemetery in Sfântu Gheorghe | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
from 1922
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources

Gruber, Samuel D. (ed.). Historic Jewish Sites in Romania (Washington: United States Commission for Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad, 2010)., https://surface.syr.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1017&context=rel (accessed December 1, 2021)
Type
Documenter
Vladimir Levin | 2017
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
The Morris and Beverly Baker Foundation | 2017
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |