The building complex includes a synagogue, a small shul, a mikveh and two private residences for the Jewish community. It was designed by the architect H. Etle Phzn. and contains architectural features reminiscing the designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. The synagogue was consecrated in 1928 and is entered from the marble vestibule which includes a glazed terracotta fountain. The interior of the synagogue is designed in an Art Deco style. The Torah ark is placed in a niche of the assembly hall. The bimah is situated at the center of this space. The glass windows of the synagogue symbolize the Twelve Tribes of Israel. The austere building complex stands apart from the surrounding built environment because of its design and size. The canopy at the entrance of the building includes a Hebrew inscription based on Psalm 2:11.
After the Second World War, the synagogue was renovated by C. van der Wilk. The roof of the building was restored by the architect A. Oznowicz in the year 1950. A subsequent renovation occurred in 1997 after which the facades, ornamental details and stained glass windows were cleaned and restored.
The synagogue is named after the Chief Rabbi Aron Schuster (1907-1994).
Edward van Voolen and Paul Meijer, Synagogen van Nederland (Zutphen: Walburg Pers, 2006)
J.F. van Agt and Edward van Voolen, Synagogen in Nederland (Hilversum: Gooi and Sticht, 1988)