Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 19465
Jewish Architecture
  Great Synagogue in Marijampolė - Interior

© Kamzon, Yaakov David, Photographer: Kamzon, Yaakov David, 1937-1938

According to the pre-war photographs and Vitberg’s memoirs, the prayer hall was spanned by an octagonal wooden cove dome. It was painted as a starry sky with a large Star of David on the eastern facet, above the Torah ark. In the lower part of the same facet, flanking the top of the Torah ark, two groups of musical instruments were depicted, referring to Psalm 150: “…Praise [the Lord] with the sound of the trumpet! Praise Him with the psaltery and harp! Praise Him with the tambourine and dance! Praise Him with stringed instruments and organs! Praise Him upon the loud cymbals! Praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals! Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord! Praise ye the Lord!” On four side facets the four animals were depicted, referring to the saying from the Mishnah: “Judah ben Tema said: be strong as the leopard and swift as the eagle, fleet as the gazelle and brave as the lion to do the will of thy Father which is in heaven” (Avot 5:20). As seen in the photographs, the western facet depicted the burning town (Jerusalem, according to Vitberg’s memoirs), the northwestern one bore a landscape, and the southeastern one – a depiction of a town.

The Torah ark at the central bay of the eastern wall was a multi-tiered wooden structure based on a sinuous ground plan. It was preceded by stairs, on the right side of which stood an amud. The ark was supported by two wooden statues of fantastic sitting lions, one of which was photographed in 1929. Each of the three tiers of the ark comprised four columns with decorated panels between them. The tiers were divided by broken architraves. The Torah shrine was situated in the first tier; a pair of white doves was placed above it. The second tier contained a closet for the megilot and the third was decorated with the Tablets of the Law. The ark was topped by a carved eagle “with a basket of fruit from the Land of Israel in his beak.”

The wooden octagonal bimah in the center of the hall was surrounded by high slender white-painted columns with “dolphin’s back” trabeated canopy, with two short flights of stairs on its southern and northern sides. The women’s section was situated on the west, on the first floor, separated from the hall by wooden arcade with a latticed meḥitsah.

3 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Great Synagogue in Marijampolė - Interior | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Hanokh Vitberg, “Beit ha-kneset in maryampol,” in Maryampol, Lita, ed. Avraham Tory (Tel Aviv, 1986), 83.

Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, Sergey Kravtsov, Vladimir Levin, Giedrė Mickūnaitė, Jurgita Šiaučiūnaitė-Verbickienė (eds.), Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, 2 vols. (Vilnius, 2010-12)
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.