Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 1542
Hebrew Illuminated Manuscripts
  JMP Fragment of Eliyahu Sinigo Esther Scroll, Italy, 1813/1814

© Jewish Museum in Prague (JMP), Photographer: N/A, -

At present only one membrane of the scroll is preserved. It contains 8 panels with the benedictions, a portion of the piyut שושנת יעקב, the owner's inscription, and the first chapter of the Book of Esther. The first panel is narrower than all other panels in the membrane. The upper and lower margins as well as the spaces between the text panels are decorated with foliate and floral ornaments. In one place, a face (mask?) is depicted. 

2 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
JMP Fragment of Eliyahu Sinigo Esther Scroll | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
1813/1814
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Ink and watercolor on parchment
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
The only remaining sheet of the scroll: 70x600 mm
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
The only preserved part of the manuscript is in fair condition. The first 4 panels containing the benedictions, the poem, the owner's inscription, and the section until Es. 1:6 are preserved in a worse condition than the rest of the membrane. This is especially visible in the decorations, where the sheet is crumpled.
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents

Initial and final benedictions, a liturgical poem "שושנת יעקב", owner's note, and a fragment of the Book of Esther (Es. 1:1-2:1).

Codicology

Benedictions: The first two panels contain the benediction and a liturgical poem. Every benediction starts from an enlarged word ברוך that is written separately, on the right side. They are written with alef-lamed ligatures, and the Tetragrammaton is inscribed as two letters י and a sign resembling the top of the letter ל. 

Megillah: The sheet contains the first 5 columns with the text of the Book of Esther with 12 lines each.

The text is inscribed in Italian Hebrew square script, in dark brown ink, on the flesh side of the parchment membrane.

The hair side of the membrane is rather yellow and hair traces are well visible on it.

The letter ח (Es. 1:6) is highlighted by its size (it is larger than an average letter in the sheet) and form (this is the only letter ח containing two elements joined with a roof).

The membranes in the scroll were stitched; the remains of the sewing are visible on the left edge of the membrane.

Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon

In the panel placed between the benediction panels and the beginning of the Book of Esther, a Hebrew inscription of the former owner of the manuscript is penned:

המגילה שלי אני אליהו בר משה מרדכי סיניגא שנת התקעד

"This is my megillah, I am Elijahu, son of Moses Mordecai Sinigo, in the year 5574 [1813/1814]"

Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks

The name of the scroll's owner derives from the name of the town Sinigo (Germ. Sinich), which is presently a district of Merano.

It can be assumed that this was an owner-made manuscript.

The former number of the manuscript is Ms 418.

Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
In the collection of the pre-war Jewish Museum in Prague (1906-1940). It belonged to Judaic objects gathered by the Nazis during 1942-1945.
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography

Olga Sixtova, O svitku / Form of the Scroll [katalog k výstavě konané v Galerii Roberta Guttmanna Židovského muzea v Praze od 22. června do 26. července 2006], Praha 2006, 31.

Two images of the scroll are available on http://collections.jewishmuseum.cz/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/221268 (accessed on 21.10.2020).

Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
Dagmara Budzioch | 2020
Author of description
Dagmara Budzioch | 2020
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.