Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 13759
Jewish Funerary Art
  Jewish cemetery in Grybów, Poland

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Lukin, Benjamin, 1995

According to ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, the Grybów Jewish cemetery is located on a forested hill about 1,200 metres west of the market square and covers an area of 0.35 hectares. The cemetery was established in the second half of the 18th century. There are 125 preserved tombstones in the cemetery, which are made of stone and date back to the 19th and 20th centuries. Most of them were destroyed, but a few have survived in good condition. Inscriptions in Polish and Hebrew are visible on some of them. Jews from other nearby towns were also buried in the cemetery.

One section of the cemetery is for soldiers who died in World War I. Initially, there were 7 individual graves, now there are 4 gravestones, 2 of which are in good condition, with legible inscriptions. The gravestones are made of prefabricated concrete (typical for Jewish tombstones) with oval nameplates placed at the bottom, and a Star of David carved at the top. During the German occupation, the cemetery was desecrated by German soldiers, who used the tombstones to pave the square in the brewery in Siołkowa. Some stelae were also used by locals as building material.

On November 3, 2019, a monument was unveiled in the cemetery as part of the “People, Not Numbers” project with support from the Centrum Popiel Family Foundation. The names and surnames of the 1,774 people who were imprisoned in the Grybów Ghetto and subsequently murdered, are inscribed on the “Matzevah of Remembrance” monument. Currently, the cemetery is surrounded by a new steel fence. Previously, it was enclosed with a hawthorn hedge.

Date of oldest tombstone: 1882
Date of newest tombstone: 1931
Perimeter length: 362 meters

Summary and Remarks
Remarks

10 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Jewish cemetery in Grybów | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1882 (Date of oldest tombstone)
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Poland | Małopolskie Voivodeship | Grybów
| Opposite 534, Siołkowa Street
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |