Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 1368
Sacred and Ritual Objects
  Torah cover, Greece, Salonika, 1918

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Radovan, Zev, 1992

The rectangular Torah cover is adorned with a central cypress flanked by scrolled foliate stems. Atop the decoration inscribed a dedication, set as an arch, while below are two additional lines. The Judeo Spanish (Ladino) inscriptions are embroidered in square, filled letters and read:

"הקדש די אליהו ברכה פור/ סו דיפונטה מוזיר איסטרילייה/ מוארטה ה- 21 טבת 5679."

"A dedication of Elijah Beracha in (memory of the soul of) his late daughter Isterillia, who passed away at the 21st of Tevet, 5679 (24.12.1918)." 

Two pairs of candelabra-like stems flank the arched inscription. A fringed strip surrounds the cloak. 

Online collection of the ritual objects from the E. Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute is available here: http://cbj.jhi.pl/collections/964689

Summary and Remarks

10 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1918
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Cotton, metal threads
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
A collection of ritual objects was confiscated from the Greek Jews when they were deported to Auschwitz during World War II. This Torah cover was transferred in 1948 to the museum from Narozno, a city in Silesia where the Nazis stored the objects.
Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |