Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 1367
Sacred and Ritual Objects
  Dedication, Thessaloniki (Salonika), 1928

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Radovan, Zev, 1992

The rectangular fragment is inscribed with a Hebrew dedication embroidered with square letters, which reads:

"הקדש/ של קלארה/ אשת שמואל/ (ב)ן ויניסטי (בנבנישטי)/ בר"ר (בן רבנו הרב) ישי הי"ו (ה' יחיהו וישמרהו)/ שנת התרפח/ 5688."

“A Dedication made by Clara the wife of Samuel Benvenishti son of Jesse, may the Lord sustain and protect him, the year 5688 (1928)."

  The inscription is topped by a Star of David enclosing the word "Zion" and is mounted over a wreath of two foliate stems. 

Online collection of the ritual objects from the E. Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute is available here: http://cbj.jhi.pl/collections/964689

6 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Object Detail
Date
1928
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Cotton

Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
A collection of ritual objects was confiscated from the Greek Jews when they were deported to Auschwitz during World War II. This dedication was transferred in 1948 to the museum from Narozno, a city in Silesia where the Nazis stored the objects.
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.