Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 13569
Jewish Funerary Art
  Jewish cemetery in Działoszyce, Poland

© Wanke, Karsten, Photographer: Wanke, Karsten, 2000

According to ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, the cemetery was established after the privilege granted to the Jews of Działoszyce in 1707 by the owner of the town, Jan Szczęsny Stradomski. At the beginning of the 20th century, the cemetery was fenced with a wall, and there were a funeral house and a gravedigger’s house at the entrance. In 1930, the value of the funeral house was estimated at 8,000 zlotys, and the value of the cemetery (including the wall) was estimated at 12,000 zlotys. In early of September 1942, the Germans shot between 1500-1600 Jews in the cemetery (however, other sources suggest it occurred near the cemetery), most of whom were elderly. The bodies were buried in the cemetery in mass graves. The gradual destruction of the cemetery likely began at that time. All the tombstones were destroyed, and the fence and buildings were pulled down. In the period of the Polish People’s Republic, the area was covered with trees.

In 1989, Jews from Działoszyce unveiled a monument erected on the mass grave of the Holocaust victims. In the list of Jewish cemeteries prepared by the Provincial Office in Kielce in 1991, the report stated that the cemetery in Działoszyce covers the plot no. 696 with an area of 4,179 hectares and that the authorities had not decided to close it. In the “Technical Condition” section, the following was written: “There are no traces of the cemetery, fence nor tombstones. […] Thanks to the efforts of the Municipal Office of Gdańsk, part of the area was separated in 1989 and a monument commemorating the Jews murdered in 1942 by the occupant was erected. In 1989, the tombstone commemorating Chil Dawid Salomon, Tauba Salomon Śpiewak was erected by the family next to the monument”.

In 2009, at the initiative of Menachem Daum, about 100 plaques with the names of people buried in the cemetery were placed there. The cemetery is owned by the State Treasury. It is listed in the Municipal Heritage Register (no. G-2016-02-01) and the Provincial Heritage Register (no. E-1987-08-31).

No tombstones have been preserved. There are 9 symbolic plaques with the names of Jews buried on Działoszyce cemetery before the war, which are attached to the trees.

Perimeter length: 557 metres

Summary and Remarks

1 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Jewish cemetery in Działoszyce | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
After 1707 (Established)
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |