Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 13531
Jewish Architecture
  Isaac Synagogue in Kraków, Poland

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Lukin, Benjamin, 1995

The synagogue was built in 1644 by a wealthy merchant and financier named Isaac Yakubovich. The synagogue is a monumental building (interior space 25.6 m x 11.4 m) with raised semicircular windows and a monumental baroque portal. The building went through restorations in 1857, in the beginning of the 20th century, in 1923, 1957 to 1958, and 1990 to 1996.

The women's section is located on the second floor of the western side and separated from the prayer hall by an arcade. The semicircular vault of the prayer hall is decorated by Renaissance frames made from painted stucco that emphasize the architectural design.

Tablets with texts decorated by painted architectural framework cover the walls of the prayer hall and the women's section. The image of a seven-branched temple candelabra (menorah) is preserved on the eastern wall.

There were newer murals, which have not been preserved, that were probably painted on top of the old ones during the first half of the 20th century. These were the images of the Holy Places,  according to Piechotka, M., and K. Piechotka (Bramy Nieba: Bóznice murowane na ziemiach dzwnei Rzeczypospolitej, (Warszawa: Krupski i S-ka, 1999), P.132).

 

See also:

7 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Isaac Synagogue in Kraków | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
1638-1644
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
1857, 1923, 1957-58, 1990-96
Artist/ Maker
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
Boris Khaimovich |
Author of description
Boris Khaimovich |
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.