Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 1243
Sacred and Ritual Objects
  Torah Binder, Salonika, early 20th century

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Radovan, Zev, 1993

The rectangular cloth has a triangle end to which a ribbon is attached.

A dedication is inscribed in Judeo Spanish (Ladino) in square Hebrew characters, which reads:

"נראמואדי יעקב/ שבתי"

“? By Jacob Shabbetai" 

Online collection of the ritual objects from the E. Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute is available here: http://cbj.jhi.pl/collections/964689

Summary and Remarks
Remarks

5 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
Early 20th century
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Shape / Form
Unknown
Material / Technique
Cotton

Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
248 mm, 93 mm (letters)
Length
Width
883 mm
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
A collection of ritual objects was confiscated from the Greek Jews when they were deported to Auschwitz during World War II. This binder was handed over to the museum in 1948 from Narozno, a city in Silesia where the Nazis stored the objects.
Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
Tal Vogel | 1993
Author of description
Ariella Amar | 2010
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
Ariella Amar | 2010
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |